Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Fancy brunch fare from leftover mashed potatoes

Growing up in my family, food never went to waste, my father always ate the leftovers for lunch the next day.  And heaven forbid if my mom went to throw something out that had a green tinge to it.  He would simply cut off the offensive part and consume with smug pleasure.  I should also mention that I have inherited my mother's propensity for making too much food. You Norwegians know what I am talking about.  While you won't find me eating yesterday's wilted salad I am, at heart, a lover of leftovers.  So, there I was with copious amounts of garlic mashed potatoes from the night before and a rumbling tummy.  I decided to do breakfast because I love anything with a fried egg on top and because I have been wanting to find something that will satisfy me like eggs Benedict does, without all the work.  Here is what I came up with.



I decided to top my potato cake with lox but you could use avocado, bacon, ham, tomatoes...ok I will stop fantasizing about all the possibilities, you get the picture!



 Because I find hollandaise sauce to be a little time consuming I came up with a quick alternative that adds brightness to this rich dish.  You can substitute sour cream for the creme fraiche, I just happen to love its flavor.  I used the juice of half a lemon for an 8oz container of creme fraiche and added the rest of the ingredients to taste.









 Let me just say that when my fork broke into the yoke of the egg it was love as first bite.  Now I will probably make too many mashed potatoes on purpose and have double the amount I needed here.  Ah, the vicious cycle repeats!


No comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP