Thursday, February 18, 2010

Art Appreciation Day

I will be honest.  I start sweating when Pearl asks me to draw an elephant.  I am a stick figure kind of girl.  But I LOVE art.  I have so many vivid memories from my childhood that center around it.  My beautiful and brilliant neighbor that would invite us over for an afternoon of making paper mache masks.  Visiting the Metropolitan Museum of art with my mother.  18 years old, standing alone in dim lit room at the Musee D'orsay, surrounded by paintings and sculptures by Degas.  The first time art moved me to tears. 

If you are free of young ones.  I encourage you to go out and support the artists in your community.  Art walks are often free and most cities have nights when they open the doors of their galleries for little or no cost.

If you are rocking the title of parent, then I suggest you visit a sculpture park.  Why?  Because wide open spaces offer a place to "run" your child.  Ok, there is more.  I also believe that it is never to early to teach your kids not only to appreciate art but to talk about it.  Do you like this? Why? Why not? 

My husband and I like to play a game where we pick the piece we would be most proud to say we created and the one that we wish we could take home.



 My mom got Pearl the most amazing book called Make Van Gogh's Bed for her Birthday.  I was thrilled to find out that it is part of a series.  If you have kids or know someone that has kids I forcefully recommend these books.  They send a great message about the interactive nature of art and its power to inspire the creativity that is in ALL of us.

Too many cheesy things come to mind...so I will abstain.

No comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP