Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mixing patterns in your home = a good time.

  Last week I talked about how to mix and match furniture in this post.  Today, I want to talk about tying pieces together using textiles and other decorative elements.  One of the rules that I have made for myself (because I can tend to go overboard on the eclectic meter) is that textiles must have one dominate feature in common in order for them to become friends in my home.
I inherited this chair from my great uncle and it is one of my most treasured pieces.  The pillow and chair have two things in common: their green/golden background and dense floral pattern.

 
In my dining nook I decorated around my favorite Anthropologie table cloth.  I dressed up my old white curtains with a panel of fabric from my thrift store fabric collection.  Side note: I have found really beautiful textiles at thrift stores, in the form of curtains, duvets, and even sheets.  If you see something that you think is visually stunning, buy it, fabric can be re-purposed in so many ways.  Think: curtains, baby blankets, pillows, dining room chair covers, and table cloths.  To tie the two colors together I used red and green Anthropologie pulls on my china cabinet.


 
Let something really beautiful shine.  We bought this Afghan rug in Budapest, Hungary and I consider it our first "art" purchase.  I have kept the color palette in our living room relatively simple to allow for this piece to shine.  This doesn't mean you can't play around with texture.  I like how this vintage chair's scalloped back and crushed velvet fabric stand out without competing with the rug.

I realize that for some of you, pattern is just plain scary and a throw pillow is as far as you willing to go.  So, my challenge to you would be to try combing different patterns with your pillows... it might just add some excitement and whimsy to your life!


No comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP