Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dreaming of Lemonade Weather: $3 Refurbished Tray

I'm back.  After working in our yard in the freezing rain and wind for four days we needed a break from La Casa De Foster, so we headed up to our cabin in the San Juan Islands for some much needed R&R.  Yesterday I got my behind in gear and drove out to Trader Joes to do the grocery shopping and of course had to stop at the thrift store on the way home.  I found this tray for $3 and thought it would be a great for bringing food and drinks outside this summer.  Here is what I did with it.
I lightly sanded all the wood and cleaned it off with a damp rag.

This is the paintable wallpaper that I used in Pearl's room.  I had a little extra leftover so I thought I would use it for the bottom of the tray.  You could use wrapping paper, scrap-booking paper, the point is to use what you already have.  I measured my tray and then cut out my wallpaper.

Here is where I say, "do as I say, not as I do".  I used Craft Bond which was not smart because while it looked great at first, by the time I applied paint and Mod Podge it started to bubble and wrinkle a bit.  I would recommend using Mod Podge so you can smooth it out while it's wet and assure contact between both surfaces.

Next, I painted my tray.  I set the tray on a cake stand so I could rotate and flip it upside down. Paint the edges first so you can set the tray on the wallpaper side to do the outside.

At this point the tray could be finished with a couple layers of Mod Podge but I decided to cut out some fabric I had laying around and arranged it on the tray before I sealed it.  This would also be a great place to use any beautiful cards that you have been given and didn't know what to do with.

Can't wait until it is lemonade weather and I can put it to use!

1 comment:

Nadeem1414 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP