Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How to make your floors shine like the top of the Chrysler building.

So, I briefly mentioned my Shark steam mop last week here and apparently I am not the only person who hates to mop.  While I feel like a bit of a poser giving cleaning advice I am going to channel my Norwegian grandma and share my new system.  I really have Steve to blame for this because he swore that he had seen a friend of ours use a Swiffer that was also a vacuum.  Once we had validated its existence I began to think, hey, is he trying to get me to do some cleaning (he usually does all the vacuuming and dusting) this thing is so light and easy to use.  So instead of waiting until the weekend when he lugs out our mammoth vacuum I can easily clean the kitchen floor daily. This means I no longer walk around my house with bits of basil, granola and chopped onion stuck to the bottom of my feet, hurray!  You can find the Swiffer Vacuum starter kit online for $30-$40 or at places like Fred Myer.  It comes with 2 dry sweeping refills so recommend buying a big box of refills from Costco (much cheaper).  


Now with a debris free floor the issue of mopping must be addressed.  Maybe I was scarred from watching "Annie" one too many times, "You'll stay up till this dump shines like the top of the Chrysler building."  Anyone?  There are two versions of the Shark steam mop.  I have the cheaper version which essentially means that the cord is shorter, has smaller water capacity, and the pad doesn't flip over.  If you want to see all the details go here.  We got ours on sale for around $60 at Fred Myer.  I know that they carry the higher end model for around $100 at Costco.  
Why do I love it so?  
No cleaning solution = no chemicals
Pads are washable = no waste
 It is light

Look at her smile and hold it with one hand.

But most of all...it works, the steam filled pad picks up all the fine dust and dried up spills.  

If I had a time machine I would go back and help little orphan Annie off her knees and hand her a steam mop.

I am sure I am forgetting important info in my over enthused state so, comment, email or Facebook me any questions.


**I should mention that this "method" works for all surfaces but carpet.


No comments:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP